Monday, November 03, 2008

Guilt trip

"If anyone does not obey our instruction in this letter, take special note of him. Do not associate with him, in order that he may feel ashamed. Yet do not regard him as an enemy, but warn him as a brother."
2 Thessalonians 3: 14-15


In this passage it is talking about staying away from people who are idle and do no work. According to Carson, there are several reasons why this is necessary:

1) To make sure that the person does not corrupt the rest.
2) To make sure that the outsiders will not confuse the conduct of such people with the conduct of Christians who happily take on apostolic instruction.

This prompt the question, when is it necessary to do that and when is it not? Clearly we cannot say that for all sin otherwise everyone would be extremely divided, but we cannot say for nothing either (as stated before.. sort of) otherwise ... well use your imagination.

This then to me prompted the question of the current piracy problem. While I don't think that we should suddenly not associate with those who continue to pirate since I think it will be the minority that breaks away (rather pessimistic I know), on the other hand we shouldn't turn a blind eye to it. What do you do when there is such a wide spread problem in the church?

It is good to know that there are those who are trying to change despite the difficulty, but it really seems like downloading various things off the internet is nothing and generally ignored.

I guess in this post I point a lot of fingers... while I try to make sure I don't do the same, I'm sure some who takes a look at my computer can tell me something wrong... if you do, please speak up.

3 comments:

Chrispy said...

i cant find anything wrong with your computer other than its got a tiny tiny graphics card :D

-chrisp

Vincent said...

well... doesn't the verse refers to instructions from 2 thessalonians specifically? "instructions in this letter"? the letter warns about idleness... which is not working and simply benefitting from other people's work... I could be wrong but i don't think it refers to sin per say... I'm thinking it refers to simply being a lazy bastard lol... cos in the NIV it says to keep away from every brother who is idle and does not live accoding to the teachings/traditions you recieved from us" traditions indicating the labouring and toiling that the apostles did while they were with them to not be a burden on the people.

besides, if it referred to sin, im pretty sure noone in the church could even communicate with anyone else since we all still do it. And until the day we die, we will keep doing it. lol... i dunno...

Ðes said...

Vincent... I think your comment is just a expanded or contracted but more clear version of what I have at the end of the log... but yes I agree