Thursday, November 13, 2008

A Tale of Two Cities

This doesn't really have much to do with cities as it actually has to do with "two".

Life Part 1 (the first bit that is easy to explain without being vague at all)

University unfortunately is like a typical computer game that isn't all that innovative. First you start of slow and then build up to mid semester tests and assignments and others until the final exam. If you keep with the computer game analogy the first few weeks of uni is like the tutorial that the game teaches you about the mechanics and then leaves you to fend for yourself after a little while. Right at the very end is the big boss battle (end of semester exams) and you leave with some amount of health left (grade?). If you don't leave the battle alive... then your forced to go back to the last checkpoint/save game that you have (uni is more harsh).

Life Part 2 (this is where it gets more vague)

This is pretty much everything else. The other part is more like a survival horror game in my opinion. Not that its always scary and zombies trying to eat you, but the atmosphere of the game (in particular the Japanese Silent Hill series and Resident Evil) is like every other part of life so far. There the great moment in life that just play out perfectly (like a cutscene?), moments of bafflement (plot twist?) and others I'm sure your creative minds can all conjure up. But one thing in particular is that annoying person/monster/thing that torments/haunts/hunts/attack you throughout the whole game (apparently there is one like that in RE Nemesis). There are too many analogies that I feel too lazy to list out, but I'll list if you ask me in person.

Maybe to make it sound like two cities... uni is like the city where everything is predictable, even when you're going to face huge problems because it warns you way in advance. How much trouble you have dealing with it really deals with competance and whether you notice the warnings (mainly the latter). Clearly this is not the real world (as Jeff likes to say and which I am inclined to agree with).

The other is like an abandoned city where you have to search for something. Whether you find it or not matter significantly but people can still ignore it (God?). And while you look for it you have to survive against what is unpredictable and probably do repeatitive stuff sometimes to get through it all.

I decided to give up writing the rest because I'm lazy and I realise that this log makes next to no sense... just ask me next time.

2 comments:

Elaine said...

Interesting analogy...

"Life Part 1 & 2" sounds just about right though :S

Vincent said...

lol... you and your computer games haha... mannnn... I understand what your trying to say though. Actually, when you say the person/monster/thing that torments/haunts/hunts/attack you most frequently, I guess in a way it relates to your fears and failures and how often they come knocking on your door, and also your insecurities too. And anxieties... and the list could go on lol... but yeah, I know what you mean ay

Interesting thought though